The more I learn , the more committed I become to create solutions . Awareness -Education – Action
This is a simple list of documentaries and programs that have helped in my education of current affairs relating to our National Parks , marine mammals , watersheds , conservation and even SAND.
1. The National Parks : Americas best idea * Ken Burns PBS The history behind our National Parks. Documentary series
2. Sonic Seas * The Discovery Channel The escalation of underwater noise and how it is adversely effecting marine mammals. Documentary
3. Sand Wars * Denis Delestrac The surprising reality of how sand being removed from the ocean has become a serious concern in coastal erosion around the world . This documentary can be viewed on iTunes movies. Documentary film
4. STAND * Norm Hann’s 400km stand up paddle board expedition along the proposed north coast oil tanker route in British Columbia . Bringing awareness to the traditional food harvesting areas of first nations and the dynamic marine ecosystems of the Great Bear Rainforest. to view go to https://normhann.com/stand/ or https://vimeo.com/ondemand/standfilm/186181600 Documentary film
5. Blackfish * CNN Films Seaworld and other aquatic theme parks get called out on the reality that large marine mammals Orca’s have no place in a fish bowl. Several sources to view . Documentary film .
6. Watershed: Exploring a new water ethic for the new west * Mark Decena A current state of affairs on how water is becoming more precious each passing year in the western United States . Eye opener . This documentary can be viewed on iTunes movies.
7. Racing Extinction * Louie Psihoyos Artist and activist expose the many issues of endangered species and mass extinction . Several sources to view www.racingextinction.com
8. The Cove * In Taiji, Japan , local fisherman capture and slaughter dolphins . Activist Ric O’Barry , who trained dolphins for the TV show “Flipper” joins Louis Psihoyos and the ocean preservation society to expose this tragic reality . Several sources to view . Documentary film
9. Minds in the water * Pro soul surfer Dave “Rasta” Rastovich went from observer to activist when he embarked on a personal mission to help dolphins , whales and the oceans they all share . iTunes movies . Documentary film
10. Jumbo Wild * The true story of the decades long battle over the future of British Columbias iconic Jumbo Valley. Based on the protection of wilderness and backcountry experience and constant pressure from developmental interest in wild spaces . iTunes movies . Documentary film
11. The Island President * Jon Shenk Global warming and its reality in the in the Maldives the most low lying country in the world . A heroic movie on President Mohamed Nasheed confronting the realities of of sea level rise.
iTunes Movies . Documentary film
12. Saving Luna * The larger than life story of a loan baby orca called Luna. This orca was befriended by the people of the west coast of Vancouver Island . Go to www.savingluna.com Documentary Movie
Coming next BAO favorite resource books